Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Welcome to Thailand

My first job was teaching--I was about eight years old introducing such lexis as "dog" and "cat" to my three-year-old brother Nate on a small slate blackboard that dated from my Dad's childhood. By the time Nate reached Kindergarten he was leisurely reading works by Nabakov and Dostoevsky; he learned to play the piano and guitar and now fronts a Boston rock band when he's not performing research at MIT. The only logical conclusion is that I'm a great teacher. Now let's see what I can do for the rural, tsunami-impacted villages along the north Andaman coast of Thailand.

***

I told you I was going to start this blog before I left California. Maybe I even promised you the simple courtesy of a thank-you note for supporting me with donations, storage space, mail forwarding, advice, or encouragement. I vowed I'd keep my karmic balance in check. But one distraction begets another--oh blissful rain on the window pane that last morning--and I found myself frantically packing the last of my things a mere five hours before my flight to Bangkok, as the gracious woman driving me to San Francisco airport and the wise-cracking bloke taking over my room patiently waited. Three weeks later and I'm still struggling to catch up. Please forgive me--I don't love or appreciate you any less.

I'm not going to put either of us through the odious task of recapping the past three weeks. Instead, think of this as a movie you walked into twenty minutes late because you got caught up in a philosophical debate outside the theater with a homeless person about the ramifications of passing Hubbert's peak on population dynamics (you never could pass up a friendly exchange on this topic). Take a deep breath and settle into your comfy seat and let the buttery goodness of that tub of popcorn coat your esophagus and soothe your insides (You glutton, you!). You'll figure out the plot and maybe even stick around to see how it ends. I'll try and make it worth your while.

Welcome to Thailand.

10 Comments:

Blogger Skully said...

Hey Erik,
Good start on the blog. Wish I had a teacher like you when I was 3. Instead, my sister just taught me how to curse, and now I can barely put a sentence together without at least the urge to include some profanity. I look forward to reading more about your adventures in my favorite "kick back and relax" country.
From David who met you in Wheeler 112 and sang kid's songs to you and Margi.

10:53 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Thanks, David. I'm anxiously waiting for the lesson where I get to bust out some Jazz Chants!

11:02 PM, March 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:38 AM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy!
Ok I'm trying this again.
love,
Biff

6:44 AM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Brian - Nope, probably won't be driving this summer. Are you doing another cross-country?!?

8:41 AM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E, this is a great entry! I love the movie metaphor -- perfect. I can almost taste the buttery goodness! Great to hear you're back in Kuraburi. Really great. How long this time around? Sounds like you hung up the bus keys for a while...

8:56 AM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Eric...I'm really quite proud of you. But tell me...has all this adventure made you a better person? Your Friend, God-ner

7:06 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey erik,
thanks for sending the link to your blog - i'm sure i'll be checking back soon! this is an awesome thing you are doing over there - i am kind of jealous actually. i'm glad i'll get to experience this with you, even though it will only be through cyberspace. looking forward to reading more! hope to see you again once you are back in the states.
nicole

5:58 AM, March 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos! Keep up the wonderful works ; )

8:00 PM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures especially are great. Looks kind of like a bit of a GT trip w/o the bus. Slightly less stressful?

6:53 PM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home