Thursday, March 23, 2006

Who We Are

A heartfelt thank you to everybody who replied to the first post. It was encouraging to receive your positive comments and e-mails.

***

North Andaman Tsunami Relief (NATR) was founded in the days after the tsunami by a young visionary named Bodhi, who had been working as an environmental educator at Golden Buddha Beach, an eco-resort on Koh Phratong island. Bodhi was spending the holidays with his family in the US when the tsunami struck, and returned to find Golden Buddha, as well as many nearby villages, completely destroyed. These rural villages are not well-known coastal tourist destinations like Khao Lak or Phuket, and little aid was initially directed here. Bodhi identified the need to assist this specific area; to give back to the communities that had shown him so much kindness before the disaster. NATR--an initialism designed to invoke the word "nature"--was born.

I first learned of NATR through my friends at Crooked Trails, who were helping recruit volunteers. My schedule and commitments at the time didn't allow me to come until April, and I couldn't remain here much longer than three weeks. But that was long enough to form a powerful connection. NATR's model of community empowerment and self-reliance immediately resonated with me, and to witness so many people come together and toil so hard out of pure kindness and concern, frankly, overwhelmed me. When I left I felt as though I was abandoning a crucial mission in my life. So last fall I completed my certification to teach English, and when I was done I applied for only one job.

In the year that has passed a lot has changed here. We're in a new office that's equipped with a computer lab and classroom, and the focus of the organization has evolved from disaster relief to community development and long-term sustainability--we teach English and computer classes at TREC on weekends and are in the process of expanding these programs; we're working with several villages to create local community-based tourism programs through training guides and developing homestay programs; and we're identifying long-term markets for locally-produced handicrafts.

What hasn't changed here is the energy. Everyone comes together and is focused on only one mission: helping the people of these communities. It's an amazing team and I'm privileged to be a part of it.

It's not all business around here, though--we certainly have our share of fun. (I hope this works; regardless, wear headphones if you're at work.)

NATR offices
The Training, Resource, and Education Center (TREC) in Khuraburi--the new home of NATR's offices and classes.

The Tararin bungalows in Khuraburi--I stayed in one of the rustic ones last year.

The English classroom at TREC. I teach this group on weekends.

A recent party for a departing volunteer. Farewell Phyllipa!

A longtail boat at Mu Koh Surin, home of the Moken Sea Gypsies.

A view of downtown Khuraburi.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you like to get comments? Here's your first one on the second post!
Good to see you're having fun....

big hug, Sharon (from Utrecht; the loveliest town on earth)

8:59 AM, March 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you like to get comments? Here's your first one on the second post!
Good to see you're having fun....

big hug, Sharon (from Utrecht; the loveliest town on earth)

9:01 AM, March 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so it wasn't my plan to post you two comments (or three, actually)...;-).

xs

9:08 AM, March 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noni!


muua haha ha ha ha

Kaz-dawg

9:15 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

I love comments, especially when they're posted multiple times. :-) Give Utrecht my love.

8:23 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Cassa said...

Erik-
It is so totally radical that you are doing this! I forwarded the url to Peanut, because I knew that she would love it, too. I'm excited to see that your linguistic uniqueness translates well to the written word. Very entertaining, and I'm glad that you're having a good time.
Cassa

12:39 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Ms. Grant,

Rock and roll, Ramblin' Woman! Thanks for checking in with me. I hear you're finally driving the Tortoise this summer. Word. Your sardonic ass-kicking wit will nicely fill the void I've left.

10:29 AM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home