Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Milestones

Greetings to the three people who haven't given up on this blog for lack of a timely update. As at least one person out there can attest, I love to write about my adventures, so when I fail to do so you can assume I have good reason. Life at NATR keeps me pretty busy.

Simon Says ...

Much like they were at Transworld, English lessons here are an emotional rollercoaster. A few weeks ago I taught my first class, a food-themed lesson on likes and dislikes, and it went astoundingly well; it was filled with fun activities and laughter, and by the end everyone was freely using the language. As the students exited the room they bowed to me with their hands clasped together and said "Thank you, teacher." It was perhaps one of the finest moments of my life.

That night, slightly buzzed on Singhas, I walked down one of Khuraburi's few side streets for several kilometers, until well after the sounds of blaring televisions and barking mongrels gave way to the ambient music of the jungle. I was practically skipping, reveling in having found something else that I'm great at and in such an amazing place. Then, a week later, I gave a grammar lesson on the verb "to be" that was so arduous I could barely keep from weeping before it was over. Things did pick up the next day when we played a game of "Simon Says" to act out some action verbs (I shall forever regret not getting a photo of me with the class as we jumped around singing Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire").

We're starting several new sections of English this month, including an absolute beginner class and several classes aimed specifically at guiding. The team and I have been working through our bloodshot eyeballs putting all this together, having zero previous real-world experience designing needs analyses or syllabi. Luckily a new teacher with three year's of TEFL experience arrives in a couple weeks to help out. Solid.

Visa Run

In a waste of time and energy so colossal it could only be official bureaucracy, last Tuesday I made my first "visa run." My first month in Thailand--as long as I was here last year--had already passed, and my Visa was set to expire. Several others in the same predicament piled in the NATR truck with me that afternoon and headed to the port town of Ranong, where we took a forty-five minute boat ride to the port in Kawthaung in the Union of Myanmar (Burma). An imposing, breathtaking gilded pagoda stands sentinel over the poverty-stricken city, whose welcome sign, written in Burmese with its loops and curls, made me think of lollipops. We walked around town for ten minutes, surrounded by a mob of urchins trying to sell us Burmese currency, while the boatmen dealt with our passports.

Back in Ranong, we found a "farang" restaurant and dined in pizza-induced bliss. With all due respect to the local Khuraburi cuisine, I can't believe I've survived a whole month without cheese.

CBT

All of my writerly energy of late has been focused on creating an article about our new community-based tourism (CBT) program for the coastal fishing villages in this area, targeted at the Crooked Trails audience. Crooked Trails is planning to incorporate NATR's CBT program into their Thailand itinerary next fall! Check out the article if you're interested in learning more about this awesome new program. (Warning: It's been described as "phosphorescent prose").

Happy Birthday!

Last Thursday marked the first birthday in several years that I didn't spend on a beach in Baja, Mexico, with the Green Tortoise drinking my fill of home-made margaritas (and, on one occasion, waking up the next morning to collect my clothing, which was mysteriously scattered all over the beach). Instead I rang in the big 25/34/44 (whichever age I've told you) in the coastal fishing village of Tung Nam Dam piloting our aforementioned CBT program with a family from Boulder, CO (from them I learned my favorite coffeeshop there, Penny Lane, has closed). We spent the day hiking, collecting and processing natural rubber, roasting cashew nuts, and talking with our host family through an interpreter. I was in bed by 9:00 pm having--as it is a Muslim village--celebrated my first birthday since age seventeen without a single drink.

The visiting family had been at Golden Buddha Beach when the tsunami hit last year, and we spent the next emotional day at the site of the resort on Koh Phratong together. Their stories were incredible--the father was videotaping the twenty-five-foot-high wave when it was still some fifty miles away, then ran for high ground with only seconds to spare. Their descriptions of the sounds and emotions from that morning made the tragedy real to me in new ways.

That night I made up for my birthday sobriety at an raucous NATR party, where I was privileged to get nicely acquainted a lovely young French woman from another tsunami-relief organization who'd joined the festivities. Viva.

Et Cetera

A friend in Shanghai recently told me that she can't read this blog. These revolutionary ramblings are apparently censored in China!

If you clicked on the word "fun" in my last entry and watched the movie, that is in fact a small watermelon I smashed. Watermelon cricket is all the rage in our little NATR circle right now--the goal is to round the bases without getting hit by the watermelon shrapnel being hurled at you in all directions ... or to simply not lose an eye.

NATR legally became a corporation last week. I'm on the Board of Directors.

Opening my birthday gift
Opening my birthday gift--a Rublik's Cube!

The NATR gang
The NATR gang in formal attire. That's cake on my face.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the update! Am I one of the three people you mentioned about not giving up on the blog?????
Wow, Board of Directors! I'M impressed! Sounds like things are going very well over there! Good for you and keep it up.
Now for some strange reason, I keep singing "Ring of Fire!" thanks a lot! :>)
love ya,
Biff

11:00 AM, April 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that's because I love to read about your adventures. Or maybe just adventures in general ;-). Boring scientific life; surfing on the internet to find ways to get out of here, being jealous on people that successfully escaped....

I had my own flood here. I forgot to close a lab-tap. That's about all the excitement I get....

Anyway, great stories! And late-happy-birthday ;-)! And you're somewhere in the south, isn't it? A friend from me just moved to the north-east of thailand, setting up a field station for behavioural monkey studies. But she doesn't have an exciting blog. Or a blog in general...

x sharon

10:00 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Sharon,

It's only an "exciting" blog because I make it all up--I've actually been lounging around on a beach in Koh Samui for the past month learning Thai massage from a man named Mustafa while drinking Shingha beers.

I feel you pain--once, during my so-called scientific career, the Nalgene tubing burst free from a water-circulating bath and flooded my fume hood. (I think I was busy writing an e-mail to my brother at the time.)

Keep rocking the Netherlands--say Hi to my family in Boskoop--and thanks for reading!

10:21 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Biffster!

Since you're reading the blog, you must in fact be one of the three! Thanks for not giving up on me.

Things are great here. I may never leave.

10:23 AM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Erik!

Happy belated birthday from the rainy left coast.

We rec'd the gift from Thailand, thanks! Will send you a box o' mail, including something from the odious DMV, on Monday.

Thanks for the blog updates. It reminds me I have to update mine sometime.... We are just back from New Orleans, which was fun/interesting/sad. I'm off to Seattle next week.

12:17 PM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you have a very rich fantasy....but that doesn't make it less fun to read! Oh, and I gave Utrecht your love last weekend (I promised to bring you a big hug in return :-X) but saying hi to your family? pfff, that'll become more difficult. I'll try....but maybe it’s quicker to send a <{:-)}

xs

6:12 AM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Hey Maggie--great to hear from you! I'm stoked that the Moken boat made it. I hope you enjoy it; the Moken are an amazing people.

Have a great time in seattle. If nothing else, it'll probably be less rainy there.

Thanks a million for sending the mail.

12:59 AM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey where is MY Moken boat!!! haha, j/k.
Mista Pop and I figured you would be a permanent Thai resident, I don't blame you one bit!
Maggie: I will be in New Orleans next week!
Starting to feel like spring up here. I'm still waiting to hear from Habitat for Humanity.....am going to do volunteer work for them. You inspired me.
Everyone we talk to about what you are doing are so impressed! Drinking Shingha beers! :>)
love you!!!!
the Biff

4:05 PM, April 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting side parting you're cultivating there... ;o) Sounds like you're having a blast, keep up the good work!

Jules (Punky Brewster)

12:37 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

The side-parting is just the beginning--it's been my goal for many years to bring back the mullet, and the time feels right. Thanks for the kickin' segue into a hair conversation, Punky. How the heck are you, by the way?

We've just wrapped-up a righteous Songkran Festival--new blog entry with all the sordid details coming this week. Word.

8:15 AM, April 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erik,

It's your Transworld classmate, Susan! I've been reading your blog--luv it!!! But this is my first posting. It sounds like your having so much fun, and it's so great that your doing public service and community sustainablility. Reminds me of my Americorps days.

My trip to Argentina sounds like it'll be more self-indulgent. I want to eat lots of good food, dulce de leche, and go out dancing. I'll be leaving for Argentina on May 1st, and I may start my own first blog, too!

Keep 'n touch,

Susan

12:49 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hey Erik,

Cassa sent me the link to your blog, and I think you may actually write more than I do.

I actually wanted to let you know I have a ton of ESL mini-lesson plans, activities, etc. You seem to be doing fine on your own, but the secret to teaching (one of them anyway) is not reinventing the whole wheel, only part of it. So, if you want anything on, say, phrasal verbs, just email me (Cassa has my email address).

Peanut

3:24 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

Peanut! Thanks for dropping by ye old blog.

I definitely re-invent the wheel on a weekly basis here, and your offer of lesson plans is much appreciated. I'll write Cassa for your info. Thanks again!

E

4:44 AM, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home