Thursday, June 08, 2006

Anybody Out There?

Greetings from monsoon-soaked Kuraburi. Just a quick update to let you know that I'm alive and well, and will have a spankin' new entry with photos up in a few days. I hope. Over the past several weeks I've been teaching English by day and programming websites by night--including the new site "Andaman Discoveries" for our community-based tourism program, which should go live this month--and haven't had a lot of creative energy to spare for the blog or even simple e-mail communications. I really regret this fact, especially considering so many positive and wonderful people have supported my endeavors, and I really want to give something back. There have been a lot of great stories to tell, but unfortunately the most interesting times in life tend to coincide with little free time.

Things are good here: My teaching continues to evolve and I've finally found my niche at NATR. Thailand increasingly feels like home now; as I ponder the future, every scenario includes a scheme to get back here. With a little financial recharging later this summer, I could come back for another six months (our English program just received funding for another three years).

Tomorrow the Kingdom celebrates the sixty-year anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's ascension to the throne. The King is one seriously cool cat--it's refreshing to be in a country with a thoughtful and generous leader. In honor of this, the NATR team is going to Phuket clad in yellow shirts to celebrate and let off some steam. It's been a manic few months, but all of our programs--English for the community, English for guiding, village English, Eco-guide training, computer skills--are up and running smoothly. We feel it's time to pat ourselves on the back for an afternoon.

With love,
E

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! Your groupie is out here!

I was just going to send you an email, checking if you're still alive...

Anyway, Alan was here two weeks ago and Onya came to Amsterdam for a gig the same week. It was great to see them back, had to think of that night around the campfire. I heard from Alan that Becky has developed her pictures (-|-). So enjoy Thai-sun& moon, don't work night&day, but take some time to relax...

;-X

11:16 AM, June 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey erik,

i have been checking in periodically to see if there have been any new entries and was happy to see a new one today. sounds like you are really enjoying your time over there and have found your calling. awesome! your stories are so compelling - i feel as if i am there with you partaking in your adventures. i agree with a previous poster - you should start writing your great american novel again. i'm so glad i can keep up with the goings on over there with you. i wish you much luck in your future endeavors, and i look forward to reconnecting with you upon your return. what you are doing over there is a great thing. :) loved that you mentioned clifton park in one of the previous blog entries too. ;)

xoxo, nicole

10:30 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Cassa said...

E-Dawg,
Get your shit together and sit in front of the computer instead of living life, dammit! How dare you neglect your blog for so long? Ok, now that you've had your chastising, I'm glad to see that you're still alive and kicking and drinking a few beers. Take care.
Cassa

5:59 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Erik said...

I can't begin to express how happy I am that you guys still check in on the blog!

Sharon - Superfan numero uno! Solid! May you cherish every minute you get to live in beautiful Utrecht, that car-free architectural utopia that I still daydream about. I'd actually forgotten about those Death Valley full moon photos. Do share when you can.

Nikki - So good to hear from you. I hope you and Rob and little Bonaduce are having a fantastic summer. If you appreciated the mere mention of Clifton Park in a previous post, you'll love the ode to CCM (our hometown Mall now under demolition) in the upcoming entry.

Cassa - Your last blog entry made my heart ache ... yet again! One of the other English teachers here is by remarkable coincidence a former Tuolumne River rafting guide who spent many a Thursday night at the Iron Door macking on GT passengers. We are each continually fascinated that we've likely met before. A small world indeed.

Make room for me on the couch between you and Wild Bill--I expect to live at the shop when I return to the States destitute and homeless in a few months. If I come back. Until then may your adventures be fun and safe. (As Jimmy says, "Keep the rubber side down.")

Big love,
E

8:48 AM, June 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home